An etherealgirl's Adventures in Cyberland

Friday, January 21, 2005

boulevard of broken dreams

Part of my survival kit arsenol, and something I'm especially grateful for right now is Green Day's amazing album, American Idiot:

The song that most reflected my somber sense of aloneness yesterday was Boulevard of Broken Dreams. And yet, I've also got the strongest sense that there were 59 million other people sharing my angst.

Boulevard of Broken Dreams:

"I'm walking down the line
That divides me somewhere in my mind
On the border line
Of the edge and where I walk alone"




This awesome album has been the soundtrack of my emotional life lately. I can really understand the comparison that has been made between this album and The Who's rock-opera Tommy.

It's probably Green Day's best work ever imho, and the one thing that I can honestly say is that happy-happy, punk-laced, rough-edged, consistently rocking sound of Green Day has never disappointed me, so that's no small statement.

When I'm enduring a low point in my life, certain bands have never failed to help revive my sense of hope: Green Day has consistently been one of those bands. Right now, I'm particularly grateful for the feeling of solidarity and and connection I find within the music American Idiot; it's an essential album for me right now.

The best mantra comes from the song, Holiday:

"I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies
This is the dawning of the rest of our lives"


Fasten your seat belts, America, and prepare for a bumpy ride through the dark night of our national collective soul. Oh, what the frightened gutless place inside of me wouldn't give to just be able to sleep through the next four years...

Posted by etherealfire :: 6:33 AM :: 0 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------