An etherealgirl's Adventures in Cyberland

Friday, September 02, 2005

how could this have happened in my america?

Hunter at the Daily Kos has some powerful words about the nightmare that New Orleans has devolved into.

We have witnessed two disasters this week. The first was an act of nature. The second was not. The second disaster, still ongoing, is unforgivable.

That's the only word that comes to mind, a word I keep repeating to myself. These deaths, these men, these women, these infants dying now in these hours didn't have to happen. They did not have to die waiting for convoys to gather outside their city or for reservists to stand alongside their shattered police forces. They did not have to wait in darkness and fear for help to arrive, only to struggle for days without that help ever coming.

This is not politics. This is not partisanship.

This is unforgivable.


Read the entire heartbreaking diary at dKos.

I still can't believe this. I just can't wrap my head around the things I've read, I've heard, I've seen the last few days. Nothing in our national past has prepared me for the shock of this: I never could have dreamed that this could have happened in my country. In other less fortunate, 3rd world countries, lacking the resources, yes. But not the United States of America. How can it have come to this?

Posted by etherealfire :: 12:33 AM :: 2 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------