An etherealgirl's Adventures in Cyberland

Monday, January 16, 2006

you gotta have faith

Last night, feeling kinda lousy (I'll spare you the details of my current female problems) I walked into the middle of the movie Contact; right at my favourite part of the movie (if you've never seen the movie before, you've gotta see it because it's awesome).

If you've seen it, you know the part: from the moment she steps into the machine they've been given instructions to build and sets off on an 18 hour journey that she cannot prove she made. This is the part of the film that never ceases to fill me with a myriad of emotions, not the least of which includes the thrill of living vicariously through the very talented Jodie Foster's embodiment of a bright, inquisitive and incredibly brave Ellie Arroway, the first human to take the incredible and beautiful journey deep into our galaxy and make that momentous contact.

A couple of favourite quotes from the movie (the 2nd one below the image):

I... had an experience. I can't prove it, I can't even explain it, but everything that I know as a human being, everything that I am tells me that it was real. I was given something wonderful, something that changed me forever. A vision of the universe, that tells us undeniably, how tiny, and insignificant and how... rare, and precious we all are! A vision that tells us that we belong to something that is greater then ourselves, that we are *not*, that none of us are alone.

~~~Ellie Arroway, Contact

Jodie Foster as Ellie Arroway is about to make Contact

Ellie Arroway sees stars:

"Some celestial event. No - no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should've sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea."

image found here

image © Warner Brothers- all rights reserved

Posted by etherealfire :: 10:46 PM :: 2 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------