An etherealgirl's Adventures in Cyberland

Friday, October 31, 2003

Happy Halloween/Samhain!

Halloween/Samhain is coming to a close but I had to post a couple of fun links that I found tonight while surfing between the times that we had visits from the occasional trick or treaters. It was a rather sparse turnout and a surprisingly rainy night... I couldn't help wishing that some of that rain could have made its appearance last week when the surrounding area was engulfed in flames...oh well. :-(

First of all there was this fun and informative place for everything Jack-o-lantern related! The art of pumpkin carving has become an intricate one over the last several years. I am impressed by others' work but we have resorted to the ceramic kinds at our house.

Still the house was pretty festive both inside and out this year as I was inspired by alot of the outdoor decorating that has gone on in our neighborhood the last couple of years. We had lots of lighted pumpkins and strings of bats, candy corns and frankensteins out front. And then the rains came :-( but it was pretty just the same. I tried to snap a few photos with my digital camera but I have not had any success yet even trying to upload them to my computer. I hope they came out alright.

Another interesting but spooky site I found was devoted entirely to real live haunted houses scattered around the U.S. And the site has other horror attractions as well....um, but because I'm a really big chicken, I'm not gonna spend much time perusing them... I'm not particularly brave, so I would just add my disclaimer....I'm guessing this is not for the faint of heart. Proceed with caution and the appropriate sense of fun....

Much more suited to kids (and scaredy cats like me) is Scary.com! Although, I've got to admit I got a little unnerved by the opening sequence. Still, that was the point so for kids big and small everywhere, looking for a little bit of spooky fun, go and enjoy!

For some Samhain-related sites, I found this one to be a link up for informative and educational as well! I found this article in particular to be hopeful and refreshing! Some of the more enlightened Christian responses give me a little bit more faith in the inherent goodness and responsibility that is more prevalent from that faction than I had come to believe in recent times!

For information on the symbolic meanings behind this important Sabbat, Samhain Lore is a good place to start and other Samhain-lore related sites can be found here, here, here, here, here and
here.

The symbolism of death and renewal is a theme that is very important in my own life as I have my North Node in Scorpio and in the 8th House. My whole life has been about seeking, spiritual growth and an ongoing journey towards transformation. That is one of the reasons that this time of year is so very significant to me personally. It is the best time for personal reflection and preparation for the upcoming season of joy and light that is celebrated by most every faith in some form!

This article in particular was one that resonates with me and I wanted to share it as well as this one and this one.

I wish each and every one of you a safe, happy, peaceful and insightful Halloween, All Hallow's Eve and Samhain.

Also upcoming are All Saints Day on November 1st and All Soul's Day typically celebrated on the 2nd or 3rd of November. Traditionally celebrated in the Catholic Church it is a great time for any of us to remember and to send out our prayers of gratitude and acknowledgement for the gifts of our heroes, our ancestors, those who left the earth plane but not their legacies, their memories and their hopes and dreams that can be carried ever onward with future generations.

Posted by etherealfire :: 11:45 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------