An etherealgirl's Adventures in Cyberland

Sunday, February 06, 2005

my funny valentine

oh and one last thing before I go....

Mmmmmm, somebody really isn't in the mood for homework, I'm thinking...

I keep intending to update my i-tunes list on the sidebar but I don't have time right now coz I like to link to the sources as much as possible but I had to list my current romantic cd obsession right now because it is just such a thing of beauty: Cyndi Lauper's, At Last.

I've had this cd for well over a year now, but I have pretty much always listened to it in small doses; mainly because it's a mostly mournful tribute to love; beautifully and emotionally sung the way nobody else in modern pop music could; there's nobody quite like Cyndi. But for a long time I would literally get too emotionally overwhelmed to get very far into it before skipping through the other tracks to The Sunny Side of the Street or the cynical-comic turn of Making Whoopee or just heading backwards to Stay, because some of the other songs were just so sad.

In the last few months, though, (no doubt because it already matched my post-election mournful mood, in perfect solidarity) I find myself listening to it more and more often, and all the way through. And a beautiful, gut-wrenching little thing it is, too; but it somehow makes me feel so much better when I'm done listening. Which is a far less expensive way to have little cathartic moments than therapy... and it can be accomplished in the privacy of your own home. :-) Give me a journal, some atmospheric soft lighting and Cyndi's heartbreaking rendition of La Vie en Rose and I find myself in a delicious state of romantic angsty clarity.

Love is tragic! Love is beautiful! It's a bit of heightened, dramatic, and ever-so-addicting sentimentality that feels so good because, it feels so strong. It's the feeling of being alive. It's.... feeling something. Something besides numb and worried about the world falling apart. That's the beauty of emotionally connecting with music. It takes you somewhere else; you have no choice but to give in and experience it. Alot like love. Music is love.

Ummmm, yeah. I think I'd better get back to work now. This post has left me worried... and wondering if spilling my angsty guts and displaying these overwrought emotions was a mistake. Will you respect me in the morning? Will you still love me tomorrow? (sorry I just couldn't resist :-p) Enough amateurishly bad philosophy... well, for tonight anyway....


At Last, a praiseworthy Hymn to Love, a la Lauper

Posted by etherealfire :: 9:03 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------