An etherealgirl's Adventures in Cyberland

Thursday, March 03, 2005

the revolution will not be televised

In the last few weeks I've reached a point where I am struggling with my ever-increasing outrage, anger and frustration over the political scene in this country and the apparent lack of interest in our MSM to do their jobs and report it.

As always, Michael at Spontaneous Arising, speaks to my heart and soul at that serendipitous moment that I most need a clear perspective and a little re-direction; this time with a beautiful little essay called Masters of Non-Violence Prescribe a Better Way.

I've perceived that maybe alot of people are feeling this same burnout and frustration and are probably struggling with how to best deal with it all. I've noticed some of my favourite blog reads haven't been updated in quite awhile and some have begun to change the post content to other things besides politics.

I can relate to that and I can also relate to the frustration that goes with the territory of posting and blogging about stories that should be covered intensively by the MSM but instead is completely ignored or given lip service to along with a decidedly skewed spin by the so-called MSM.

It's enough to make one crazy. And I find that I can't live like that day in and day out, days on end, with little hope that the people who need to pay attention are going to do so, and with no alternative other than roll over and forget about it (still completely impossible for me at this point) or pop a coronary over it all.

So I'm trying, for my own sanity, to balance out the political posts with links to the things that bring me joy, enlighten my mind and broaden my horizons.

That doesn't mean that I won't stop posting political items, and when I do, that doesn't mean I will be able to contain my frustration and outrage over alot of it. It just means that I've got to give myself a reason for hope and for inane fun and so I am making this very pointed effort to find things to link to that make me happy. I don't know why I'm saying this, I don't know if anybody really cares or not.

It is just that I'm at this place and I feel a need to express that I'm at this place. I think it would be a big mistake to my psyche to stop posting the political; we can't depend on the MSM to educate anyone, it is going to be up to the grassroots, We the People to find and report and link to reports about what is really going on in this country; it is going to be up to ourselves and each other to feed our heads and work towards an internal revolution of the heart, the mind and the spirit, to bring back real democracy in this country. Somebody has to bear witness to what is going on, so I will be a part of that as much as I can. Gil Scott-Heron who said it so long ago, was incredibly prescient, so very right on target: The revolution will not be televised. The people who courageously and doggedly speak out and keep us informed have to do so despite the corporate bought and owned media, if only to counter-act the complete and total disservice that the media has done to the often uninformed and/or misinformed masses.

But having said that, having acknowledged it, accepted it and in full support of it, I have come to the conclusion that if I don't actively work to celebrate the good that can be found around me, and perhaps share that which can be found as common ground with others at least some of the time, I'm going to become so demoralized and bereft of any hope that I'm afraid I'm going to cease to function.

The truth is that when I began blogging in 2001 (which has long since been purged but in any case...) it was always and only about linking and discussing all the things that interested me. I've always posted about political items along with everything else, but the political focus grew stronger and stronger with every passing day because since 2000, more and more outrageously stupid, morally bankrupt and ethically challenged ideology was rearing its ugly head and it was impossible not to point it out. Somewhere along the way, mainly because of an urgency to try to somehow report and speak out about the increasing madness that our political landscape was taking on, it became the primary focus of most every post I made.

Our political situation remains critical and plenty of good people are addressing that, and far better and more eloquently than I ever could, and so I will continue (probably on a daily basis since I read them faithfully most every day) to point to links of the best of them to help spread the word and keep myself well-informed; and occasionally, because I'm human, I'm guessing that I'm going to go on a rant about the most unbelievable and frustrating news that I come across.

But for the time being, I'm really going to make an effort to go back to the original purpose of my blog and that is to record the adventures of discovering the diverse links that pique my curiosity, feed my spirit and reflect my journey. Just felt the need to address it somehow.

Posted by etherealfire :: 4:46 PM :: 6 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------